Question: I am currently a freshman at the University of Calgary, and my desire is to attend Wharton, Harvard, or Stanford for my MBA. However, as a freshman, there are very limited opportunities for myself to build a good basis and ultimately succeed when I graduate. My question is, what would you recommend I do over the summer to achieve that base and move forward with confidence and experience?
Answer: The short answer is anything that can give you basic business experience. Go work as a business intern if possible anywhere – best if it’s a good brand name company. Do it for free if you have to just to get the experience. You are planning early which is good. I actually worked at Denny’s as a hostess my freshman summer – not helpful in getting into Wharton but I still got in later, so no worries if you don’t get anything good after Freshman year. Just keep trying.
- good grades from college, preferably 3.5 and above
- great work experience at least 2 -3 years after college
- good extracurricular activities after college (how are you demonstrating leadership and contribution to community)
- cohesive story of why you want to go to MBA school and what makes you special (how you will contribute to the student body)
- solid recommendation preferably from alumni of the school you are applying
- minimum GMAT score of 700
Posted in: MBA