After writing my previous post, Good vs. Bad career advice, I found the following 12 career advice on the web that are either very controversial or considered bad. I wanted to share them with you and get your opinion. Do you think these are bad career advice?
- As a woman, you will have to work harder than guys to get the same recognition at work.
- Don’t job hop — it shows that you can’t decide on a career and are not dedicated.
- Do what you love and money will follow.
- You can wait to have kids. There’s no rush.
- Report sexual harassment, even if it’s just a minor infraction.
- Read business books to become a good leader.
- Don’t burn bridges
- stick with what you know especially in this economy, as this is the worst time to change careers
- If someone is stealing your ideas, let them
- Take some “vocational interest type tests” to figure out your next career move
- Keep quiet if there are problems
- You need to walk into the CEO’s office and say ‘We need to talk about my salary today.’
I look forward to your comments.