So it’s important to be comfortable with being uncomfortable to achieve success and joy in life! For this reason, I am ditching the traditional new year resolution of setting goals and making my 2013 about experiences – a way to encourage myself to try new things or challenge myself to do some things I know may be uncomfortable and has no guarantee of success. It’s not just for my career but also for living my life to the fullest.
In 2013, I will add 50 more experiences to my life – about 4 to 5 each month. I have developed an initial wish list of 75+ experiences I want to try and probably add more throughout the year. It has already helped me take more action in life /career without over-thinking about whether I would “succeed.” Perhaps you will join me in making 2013 about experiences for you as well. Best wishes to your career success and a fulfilling life.
Improving my own soft skills
- Practice letting go on trivial matter – I tend to get upset if someone “wrongs” me (from bad customer service, taxi driver that like to take the long way for a few $, indirect racial comments from a stranger), This is for me to practice to let it go – don’t bother correcting them or letting it upset me.
- Sit for 30 minutes and meditate – I am so busy doing stuff all day long. It’s hard to stop and just be.
- Practice patience – wait until someone finish talking before I speak (no matter how much I disagree with what they are saying) – I have a bad habit of interrupting people especially when I am excited about the topic.
- When I find myself judging others, stop and focus instead on how to accepting others as they are and their positive contributions to my life and the world.
- Action trumps fear – act in spite of the fear of failure or embarrassment
- Take an Improv class – this is definitely outside my comfort zone. Be ok with embarrassment
- Stay calm and collected when I am usually furious about something
Career Success Blog
- Plan a local happy hour for readers of my career advice blog
- Do one small group workshop on one topic in soft skills at work
- Do one video conference on one topic in soft skills at work
- Write a synopsis for the book I want to write – several draft
- Get feedback on all the drafts
- Find a survey tool I can use to tally feedback.
- Write a book
- Create Soft Skills University – where people can learn / practice soft skills in stages and get certified as they finished each stage
- Speak on a career success panel
- Test the video medium on my blog – record video of coaching conversations
- Hire an intern or two to help with blog
- Test ghost writing – someone to take my newsletters and turn them into a book
- Test scenario based posts / articles
- Find an easy tool to post /schedule updates to multiple social networks
Career / Business
- Decide my career path when my contract end this year – continue to contract, go back to climbing the ladder or build the soft skills university to help millions accelerate their career success.
- Write marketing or business blog posts on www.rwomarketing.com
- Write a deck about how to help companies “Get the Wow” in their customer experience
- Write a sales deck on how to identify root cause to marketing/sales funnel fallout
- Re-name RWOmarketing
- Launch a website for Agnes to build photo stories for birthdays, holidays, wedding – she has a talent.
- Interview for a Product Manager job
- Interview for a customer experience job
- Interview for a process improvement job
- Interview for a marketing job
Family related – new stuff on top of what we do today
- Take Isabel (4 years old) to visit my mom and dad in Houston (she has never been on a plane yet)
- Take Isabel to Dance, Theater, and Art events (dance mission girl brigade show, nutcracker, small theater play)
- Take Isabel to Disneyland
- Take Isabel Pottery painting
- Take Alexis (1 year old) to swimming classes
- Plan a vacation for my parents’ 70 birthdays in 2014.
- Bake cupcakes or cookies with Isabel and Alexis
- Take Isabel to singing lessons (per her request that she want to learn how to sing. She loves Glee and American Idol)
- Practice Karate with Isabel
- Take Isabel to Gilroy Gardens (mini-disney land in Gilroy)
- Take Isabel to feed the homeless
- Teach Isabel about money
New , Fun Stuff
- Go Tandem skydiving
- Go Rollerblading or Ice skating
- Take a new dance class (Argentine Tango, samba, etc..)
- Join a dance performance group or workshop
- Travel to Europe, Vietnam, Brazil with hubby
- Have lunch at French Laundry
- Organize quarterly Diva events
- Go shopping and spend lavishly once – being Chinese, this will feel very uncomfortable. I am a bargain hunter sometimes to a fault.
- Let Agnes clean out my closet – sort stuff for donation (3 veto power). I tend to hold on to too many things.
- Join a Flashmob – group that gathers and breaks out into dance in a public place at a set time to make a statement
- Call a distance friend once a week (nice to keep in touch with people far away)
- Write the Baby Bump Triology – 3 blog posts about the evolution of my tummy through pregnancy to recovery after birth
- Start a Diva blog (remembering fun memories with girlfriend gatherings)
- Do an official 5 K run
- Do an official 10k run
- Take 4 classes at the nearby TRX/Pilates gym
- Do abs exercise every day a week (I just learned that our ab muscle recover quickly and therefore we can work on it every day
- Do a cleanse (I love food especially meat and seafood, so this will be HARD)
- Take a Jiujitsu class (I hear women can do this and well)
- Go to bed early and wake up early to see sunrise for a week. (I usually can’t sleep until midnight)
- Don’t snack before I go to bed at night for a week (I developed a bad habit of eating right before going to sleep)
- Don’t take any sleep aid for a week (I take a quarter dose of Unisom a few times a week – habit from my pregnancy)
- Eat vegetarian for lunch one day
- Have only raw vegetables and broth for lunch one day
- Have only juice for lunch one day
- 7 days of Bikram – Go for 7 days straight. I have practiced for 5+years but have never done this
- do a doubleheader – 2 bikram yoga classes back to back (3 hours long total)
Self Awareness / Bigger Picture
- Read a chapter in Rays of Dawn every night before I go to bed a week
- Read a chapter in Rays of Dawn first thing in the morning when i wake up for a week
- Live a day where nothing disturbed my mood and love of life no matter what happens
- Something unpleasant happens. Accept it, know that everything is still fine. Shit happens, let go and take action to move on
- No matter what happens in a week, just accept and move on. No regrets no worry
- No planning for a week (I am a constant planner to a fault – for work, blog, family, exercise, etc…)
- No criticism for a week (growing up Chinese, my instinct is to criticize my own action if they are less than optimal – not a fun trait. Want to break it)
- Go to a networking event once a month
- Do info interview with companies I want to work for
- Network with blogger and eBook publishers
I am always in your corner.